Saturday, July 24, 2010

tour de france


I was introduced to the Tour de France a couple of year's back, and each year my love for this competition grows. There are three weeks of grueling stages to the tour, wherein the brutes begin in Monaco and then climb the Pyrenees and the Alps, and sprint their way into Paris to conclude. The terrain is enough to get me hooked, but the strategy and perseverance involved in these men's lives is just astounding. The men cover 2,241 miles in three weeks, and these weeks happen to be in incredibly stifling July heat. Today was the time trials, and tomorrow is the last day of the tour.


I've been inspired by these men, and so yesterday I decided to hop on my stylin 1970(ish) Nishiki road bike for a ride. I really enjoy biking, but I am not good, it was really hot, and my admiration grew. I had a lovely little adventure though, and had some great little stops. The gal at the check out at the general store down the road has decided to backpack in New Zealand, and so I handed her off my lonely planet guide. After I'd shared how safe and great it was, she booked a trip. I was surprised and decided I needed to share some "must-sees"...

I rode past the "Forget me Not" guest house, raw milk farm, and other old PA stone structures. I ended where my friend and her kids were swimming and appreciated the dip. The way home was lovely and I spied my dream little cottage that I'd love to render and deck with charm. I huffed up the hill home and entered the house as the thunder started.

Today I had my last day of work at the Glasbern, and while a little unplanned, I am quite glad to be done. I head to the grandparents Monday for peach preserving and quality time, and then to Boston thereafter for time with my bro. I am entering this new season sooner than anticipated, and look ahead curiously, wondering what good might be uncovered down south. The Saw Palmetto and other prickly plants will have to hold my attention for a little while... Thanks for traveling along!

2 comments:

  1. If I ever get to the point in my life where I become a World Traveler, I want you to go with me.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps if I make it overseas, have a little farm/orphan compound, you can come on over teach us the word and beautiful living for our Lord. What think ye?

    ReplyDelete