Thursday, April 1, 2010




Yesterday was Psalm 73. I love this Psalm. Asaph begins declaring in the affirmative, but is swiftly swept along by the tide of his time. His proclamation is as sure as the first blooms who wither in the frost. His life had become the screenplay which dictated the narrative in his mind, and what he saw spoke more convincingly than what he'd known to be true.
He says, "My feet has almost slipped...when I saw..." While Creation was pouring forth speech, contradiction and injustice coupled to combat truth that lead back to the Garden... "If God was so good, why I am in the dust? Why this continual suffering..."?
The eye is the lamp of the soul, and Asaph had become dull by looking too long in the wrong places. Whose eye does not weary of the vanity that fills this earth? But wait, this is not end...
A sudden juxtaposition occurs in the psalm, and in an instant, Asaph perceives the end, when man stands before His Maker. I imagine coming into a great and glorious room, full of wonderful distractions, to have the walls collapse into blinding whiteness. Clarity would be no longer evasive, and infinite, oozing sadness would seep from the heart been devoted to the temporal.
Such was his, as he perceived the incorrigible condition of his unregenerate heart. What a change results! The man is swept away, and that great, white room becomes the enveloping arms of truth, that henceforth enliven and strengthen his heart. He jumps from one billow to the next and utters deeper, and more penetrable truths that now strengthen and enliven my feeble praise.
"24 With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory. 25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. 26 My flesh and my heart may [will] fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Blessed is the man who has found every facet to be faulty, and every relationship flawed, for it is he who say: "28 But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works."

1 comment:

  1. May this Psalm carry you strongly into your service into Morocco....I shall be praying for you, my dear friend...

    ReplyDelete