Saturday, October 6, 2012

Unbelief

I've been meaning to compose a followup post since I wrote Isolation. I was thinking then, and haven't yet stopped. When my faith eye seems most dim, I am reminded of Hebrews, and I go there to refocus on the Light.

I am staring now at fall's radiance: soft green blades, fluttering aspens, and a waving sumac heralding the azure sky. The starlings descend and spread, ascend and scatter, and all about is the burgeoning earth, pressing out its bounty, listless clouds above -- and I sit here to ponder this world I cannot love.

I am amazed at times, to think of the enormity of folly that comprises man's days. From the debauch lives of celebrities, the treasuries we fill, or the ridiculous things we value and esteem -- I am astounded by our absurdity. The lack of foresight, discretion, and hope is blinding. I see these things in my culture and in my heart, and I conclude that they and I are riddled with the pandemic of unbelief.

I see in Hebrews that the wilderness wanderers were not permitted to enter the promised land because of this, by it our hearts are hardened, our assessments skewed, and when mastered by it, our perception of truth is wholly distorted and always maligned.

In response to the Isolation post, I was challenged by these verses: 12 Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end. (Heb. 3:12-14)

My heart is rather burdened by this reality, and the trends I see in culture, the church, and in every facet of life. There is a realm which is more real than those singing starlings, fuller and more vibrant than the most glorious temporal day -- a world that is set up in eternity; an unshakable, unending reality where hope and glory do not waiver or fade, but whose brightness is fueled by the reigning Savior's sway, and by which the believing heart is saved.

The writer of the Hebrews goes on to say, 10:35 Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. 36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.


Our lives are determined by the fruit of our days, and in them we decide whether our experience will trump what the Bible says is true, or if we will stack up our sorrows and let them imbue the faith we have realized and all the glories sure to come.

C.S. Lewis wrote: “He who has God and everything else has no more than he who has God only.”

He is real, and surely is worthy of all our affection, and every cloistered corridor which has lead away from Him -- join with me friends, in walking back to that fount Everlasting.






1 comment: