Sunday, November 14, 2010


The mind is such a strange thing; the dwelling of intellect, and the filter of affection. Through it passes considerations of life, the trappings of death, and either the liberty or captivity of the contents passing through it. Considerable time ought be given to that which enters it, and as I sat yesterday stuck in traffic, I was contemplating all of these things.

A barrage of temptation lands upon us each day, and unknowingly passing images and allusions become the landscape onto which we play out our lives. I mourn this, for within the walls of our churches stand these same measuring rods that were never meant to assess our progress, and growth in godliness.

The New Testament is filled with paradoxes of the first being last, the least greatest, and the meek inheriting life, but yet what we celebrate are not these things. They present us with ideals, and we apply their concepts, but do we (I) believe them to be the truth of which we live out our lives? It seems we are still seeking as the world, that canopy of perceived productivity, and that "fruitfulness" that comes from having established a title wherein our good works might pronounced. I have no heart to squelch the offices affirmed by God, but the seeking of them beyond the seeking of Him is problematic to me. I think of Brother Lawrence who scrubbed pots to God's glory and got it; his heart was daily with Him, and he realized that it never ought be lived for the public eye, for all that will be tested and burned with fire in proving the veracity of the form (1 Cor. 3:12).

I mean never to stir things up for mere controversy, but moreso because I see a deadening happening in our lives where we (I) really allow the world's standards to affect my growth in godliness because the church assesses my outward progress. Good works ought to follow us because we are walking in the power of the Spirit. Goodness and mercy should be trailing behind us, and we should be those whose hearts are trained to evidence growth in grace in others, and work therein to overturn this damaging assessment of outward "productivity." God is glorified by our good works, and when we are connected to Him it is impossible for them to not come out; need we a covering of profession to warrant the authenticity of our possession? I challenge us this day, as I am so challenged by this all. We are to be faithful to invest the talents given, but beyond that, are we willing to invest them, and ourselves into Him, regardless of whether or not if ever amounts to anything we think it should? Could we be content to never have the recognition we so eagerly desire?


I write this on the day of my birth, as this day presents me a violence of emotion and thought. I raise all of these questions to myself, and felt that I must also inflict them upon you :) May you perceive the love that is in them.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday, Nellie!

    Your thoughts so often parallel my own in various ways. Thank you for sharing them and provoking further consideration within me.

    ReplyDelete