Friday, January 8, 2010

This morning has been quite surreal. My mom had a dream about a misplaced autistic child she had birthed and never known, and I woke to a sprinkling of snow, a wedding in the afternoon and Isaiah 1-5.
Last night as I drove home from the rehearsal dinner I checked my messages to find that my dear friend Anna had given her hand (and heart) to a man named Jeff. She loves Him, and loves God more still. She currently resides in Korea; congratulations my sweet friend! I am in a wedding this afternoon. There is such a flurry of matrimony, and as I sit still to listen to my Lord, I am taken by His goodness, and kindness to this hateful world. Isaiah was warning God's people of His coming judgment to them for their wicked and rebellious ways, and urging them to turn and repent. The message still stands, and hearts are as stiff towards His goodness as ever. So once was mine.
But on the subject of marriage, what kindness He has given in this unfaithful and inharmonious world. Companionship and the promise of fidelity if we keep our eyes fixed on Him who is faithful (by essence!). "Let your eyes look directly ahead and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you. Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established. Do not turn to the right nor to the left; turn your foot from evil." (Prov. 4:25-27). The world sees marriage as binding and the loss of freedom, but it is not so! Marriage, like many other disciplines, is a path to freedom. It is saying yes to one person, and no to all the others. It is pouring all your passion into one, and finding a proper haven for your heart in this crooked world. Marriage is not the keeper of a soul though, only Jesus can ensure that. Yes, I do desire marriage if the Lord brings it, but if He keeps me single, by His grace my lips will praise Him. Tenderest affection to any who may read these words. The photos are of the chapel where the wedding is this afternoon. Congratulations Kate!

2 comments:

  1. Contentment, peace, the mysteries of His ways...
    Blessing upon you as you celebrate with friends today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. marriage is indeed freedom, and one of the greatest expressions of how much Christ loves his bride and because of that love, how easily she can submit to his leadership. when marriage "works" as the Creator designed it to do so, there is no sweeter relationship on earth between creatures.

    ReplyDelete